Friday, February 25, 2005

Confession 1 Hello and Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog.

I've just spent ages telling you all about me, only to lose it somehow after 'publication'. Seems I'm never going to get the hang of this publishing business. So, here we go again, a much shortened version because I'm tired and the children are still up watching DVDs (3 in a row, thanks Blockbuster) and it's dinnertime .

1. They say that once you're a published author you never walk into a bookshop in the same way ever again. This is true. After the first of my two novels was published this became a nervous high street tic. And as my surname is at the arse end of the alphabet, this meant going to the lowest shelves in the darkest corners and getting flat down on stomach to inspect my (nearly always) absence. These days it's a permanent absence, my books being history (2003 and 2004). You get about three months on the shelves if you're lucky before they start sending them back as 'returns' and getting the next batch of hopeful newbies in.

2. I also can't look at a photograph in a magazine or any scene on television or in a movie where a bookshelf is present without turning my head sideways and looking for my titles. I even do this with old movies and photographs of Winston Churchill.

Bye for now, speak soon and thanks for visiting.

No comments: