Sunday, March 13, 2005

Confession 14 Story, Story, Story

Story, story, story

Have been mulling over story all weekend. Stephen King in his book On Writing says that plot is a dirty word, a near-relative of plod. I don't read many How To books, it's so easy to spend too much time on them.

Story, plot, whatever, I find it the most difficult process. Am trying to take lessons from Desperate Housewives, which has such bonkers Dallas-like storylines, but I sit and take it all in and enjoy it because of the characters. Reminding myself of this over and over, have progressed synopsis to different level, which is really daft but could be fun. It's so easy to get bogged down in irrelevant stuff, like, how did they get from A to B and when's she going to book the removals van, when it's always best to cull the explanatory stuff and get on with the: story. I'm going to be doing a lot of leaping with this one, trying to keep emotion and feelings up front and out there at the same time. However could easily wake again tomorrow and realise new idea was dumb and stupid.

Booked tickets for Rufus Wainwright's Shepherd's Bush Empire gig this evening which has put me in a cheery mood.

http://www.rufuswainwright.com/default.asp

We shouldn't be going at all in our present circumstances, but after watching the documentary about him on Channel 4 last night, and playing Want One for months and months, I decided I really couldn't miss it.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: