Saturday, March 26, 2005

Confession 22 Author Status Sinks to New Depths

No. of new titles on Amazon: 1
New Celebdaq rating record: 535


That's it. Am giving up non fiction. Would rather stack shelves in Tesco, it pays more that's for sure.

My next non-fiction comes out in August. It has been on the US Amazon for a while, but has just appeared on the UK listing and the cover has just appeared on both. They had terrible production problems with this one, I took it on after another author completely screwed on it. There was a horrible deadline. As I'd signed the contract there was little I could do, I needed the work. But, as I only discovered after I'd signed, the research the previous author had done was completely useless. It was a 90% rewrite job which they expected me to do in six weeks. I asked for more money twice and eventually got a teeny bit, enough to buy Christmas presents. They couldn't give me any more as there was nothing left in the budget. They promised me that if I could give my goodwill, and that if I'd pleease work for them again they'd make it up to me on their next contract. I finished the job in two and a half months, with the help of my dear friend J, who did a couple of chapters out of the kindness of her heart. I haven't had any more commissions from them, and now I discover they haven't even put my name on the cover. No author credit at all. I shall e-mail the editor after Easter to find out why.

Meantime I've printed the first 7 chapters of the novel and put them in a punch-hole file to work on over Easter. I've never done that before. It's horrible, a bit like proof reading, but will keep me away from the computer for a while.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: