Another early start, going back over the first 2 chapters of yesterday, changing long chunks of rambling introspection into bouncy dialogue.
For the first time am printing out each chapter as I go, and last night's read-through was majorly awful. The idea was to do this so that in the evenings I could ADD in tiny nice bits of sensory stuff and sound and weight and weather here and there as I go, and make the first whole draft readthrough less painful. At the moment it doesn't feel as if I'll ever get to that stage. Still, the dialogue has improved things and brought some handy conflict scenes in. It's funny how aware I am of all these craft things this time, when I did nothing of the sort for the first book. I just wrote the story down. As I used to work in film I used film language to construct it. Starting off with a first assembly, then a rough cut, then a final rough cut, then an answerprint, then a showprint.
Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.