Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Conf 79 Links & Pitches

No. of words: same

Sad to see that Max has blogged-out. ( She was one of my favourites.

However, Lauren Baratz-Logsted, whose agent nightmares were on Max's pages, dropped a thank you note by at Confession 70 which happily led me to her own blog. This sets off in high style with a fascinating essay on the jealousies and envies involved when authors review other authors (with particular reference to Curtis Sittenfeld's 'wrongheaded' review of Melissa Banks' The Wonder Spot in the NY Times) and an informed analysis of the chick lit tag.

The newsletter has a must-read for screenwriters at

9: Steve Kaire on Hollywood & High Concept by Jeff Szalay.

I don't know who Steve Kaire is, but as a guest of this LA-based writers group, he appears to be from the depths of the inner workings. The order of pitches easiest to sell run from Science Fiction (least difficult) through Fantasy, Horror, Musicals, Westerns, to Period - Historical (most difficult).

Talking of pitching, I had my lunch at the BBC yesterday with the last producer I worked with (over 10 years ago). TV Centre seemed incredibly exotic and distant, so unlike the run-down place I remember. I don't really feel I am going to fit in anywhere, but who knows. We talked about one of my 'Big Ideas' a music series I got quite the way down the line with all those years ago. Music, he says, is the most difficult to sell, the Period-Historical of the TV world. What they want are formulas, formats, concept things like Big Brother. You also have to be 'channel specific', identifying why it would be a BBC1 idea or BBC2, BBC3 etc. After warning me how careful you have to be at letting ideas out of the bag in TV, he said he'd look over my treatments. So, Pitch Well Done. It's funny because in writing you don't worry about letting your ideas out, or I don't & most people I know don't. But in TV you really have no control & would have to be slightly barmy to hand over your unique treatments to strangers in production companies. Whereas with writing, it's only really at beginner's classes I've taught where I've found people who have a story they're so enamoured with they are scared to show it to you in case you'll nick it. Most writers have far too many stories of their own to be bothered with nicking other peoples', but at the same time writers are natural thieves as well, we steal from everywhere, except, unspoken honour amongst, other writers.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: