Friday, July 22, 2005

Conf 80 End of Term

No. of new commissions: 1
No. of new commissions that pay: 0

A frenzy of activity these past few days: shows, picnics, tears, dancing and hugging as daughter finishes primary school & that's just the parents. Rites of passage are exhausting, topped by the stickiest and sweatiest traffic jams West London can offer. The leaving service in the beautiful old church was a real eye-shaker, culminating in the Irish Blessing, which everyone was saying 'oh this is going to get us going' beforehand but which I'd never heard of before:

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
The rain and sunshine warm upon your face
The rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again some day
May God hold you in the palm of his hand
May the memories that we have shared
Linger on and on.

Sung over and over as the tearful children collected their bibles one by one. Debbie next to me was being surprisingly stoical, she said later it was to to counter Frankie next to her who was in full wail before the children had even arrived.

Surprise e-mails from the press office of non-fic publisher and from the Guardian:

We are starting a new Q&A column where we field readers' interiors queries to the relevant expert.... ...I've got a couple of questions I thought you might be able to answer. We will, of course, say "Amanda Mann, author of advises.." so you get a plug for your book. The questions are pasted below, we are looking for v. helpful, clear answers (obviously) about two or three paragraphs.. Do let me know what you think...

So, here we go again. Do I do it for no money? Is a plug in the Guardian worth it? For six paragraphs, of course it is, but at the same time... I couldn't not ask, I hate asking for money! Hhate it! But I did::

...It would be great to get a plug for the book if my remedies are suitable, thank you. I hate having to ask this, but, as I'm not on any royalty, would there be any kind of fee as well?

And hit SEND before I could fart about with it.

The reply:

At this juncture, we can't offer a fee (we are fielding questions to so many untried experts, it would get out of hand). But if you were to become a regular problem solver on the page (your subject seems to be cropping up a lot) and your answers were fabulous, we could look at bunging you a few quid for your solutions (don't get excited, the fees here aren't huge). In the first instance we would certainly say "Amanda Mann, author of.."
So your book gets a plug. Does that sound any good?

It took me two hours. Worth it undoubtedly. Will just have to wait and see if it's fabulous enough.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Alicia Bennett said...

Greetings, I was reading some blogs and happened on your blog. I'm quite impressed , with how it has a good feel.

Look forward to reading more.

MSM Degree Online