Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Conf 119: Translations Boyd & Mann

No. of words: 41,398

Bamboo collection of essays by William Boyd is Radio 4's Book of the Week this week. Today's was about first time directing nerves. I could well identify with this, but he used a highly irritating linking device which spoilt the reminiscenses rather. The first two extracts (Monday and Tuesday for Listen Again link), however, were wonderful. Tuesday's was about adaptations and the authorly thrill of being translated. Especially seeing your words changed into strangely shaped languages like Greek and Russian. This reminded me of my own translation dilemma. Both novels were due out in Russia in August, my only foreign sales. I've heard nothing, had no excitingly weird covers through the post and there's been no correspondence. I did send one e-mail, around the end of September asking what was happening. She said she'd let me know when she heard from her Russian co-agent but she expected they'd been delayed. Now it's nearly the end of November and I have to resign myself to realising this may be just the final nail of the whole disappointing getting published experience.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Dr. Lisa said...

I'm so sorry Amanda that you sound discouraged. I check in on your blog every once in awhile, so while I am basically a voyeur, I have to say: at least you had the guts to try, and you got much farther than most people do.