Saturday, December 17, 2005

Conf 125: New Lows

No. of new words typed: 24,000
Wordcount: same

For three days this week have been candidate for child neglect as I wore fingers and VHS machine raw. Typing scripts from home seemed like a good answer to the work/childcare riddle but am now not so sure. I even kidded myself I was utilising my past-life TV skills, like knowing what all the little secret codewords are like PTC and FTB and BITC. And very much enjoyed listening to comedy writers talking about their craft and watching clips of Seinfeld, telling myself I was learning something here. But now, here I am worrying because I haven't heard anything since e-mailing the stuff on Friday morning. Normally I get a cheery 'excellent' 'thanks' 'you're a star' stuff. This is a new low in the work submission chain, like I'm now seriously worried my TYPING isn't good enough, clicking on e-mail every half hour.

Childcare neglect came to head on Thursday evening when daughter decided to do some SMART (UK TV show) artwork. I vaguely remember the question 'where's the food colouring mum?' and pointing to a cupboard. Next thing partner's arrived and is hopping up and down in rage, pointing at enormous orange stain on coffee table. Daughter races upstairs and locks herself in bedroom, I stop the work, refer to my own household cleaning manual and get rid of stain whilst full blown row goes on complete with door-rattling SFX upstairs. (that is S EFFFFF X).

Also,no novel progress, no exercise... So, that's the dilemma, do I risk sliding back to zero bank account and barrell stomach to get novel finished, or keep on with the scripts? A compromise somehow, which is what the 3 days a week is about. And instead of doing this blog should be doing novel. As Genevieve points out, why am I saying friend D with avoiditis should do a blog?? Why do I do a blog?? I see it at a tea break type of thing. Also probably something to do with the line 'your blog published successfully' on every entry. . Genevieve says she doesn't know of many UK author bloggers. I don't either. My friends and www.stubbornworld.typepad are the only 2 I read. Marian Keyes has one somewhere in the Penguin website I read and enjoyed once. I did find a fab blog for all things London the other day, though,, and there a great new idea which takes delivieries of those annoying parcels you are supposed to stay in all day for. No good for me right now, and of course I'm in all day, but could be useful if I ever move to Wandsworth and get a day job. Yesterday had to make lots of complicated ifs and buts arrangements as I waited in for possibly the last Nintendog in the country to be delivered.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.


genevieve said...

Oh, poo. Not what I meant at all, Amanda. I think your suggestion to your friend is spot on, actually. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. There are plenty of US authors who blog, over here there's only a couple - I'm just curious about why that is, also the lit academics are a bit sniffy about it too, which I think is a great shame.

Jill of Booksquare wrote something very good about it on my blog once:

"There was an editor, a year ago (actually less), who suggested that blogging took away from writing. In reading his comments, I felt he believed that authors had only so many words allotted, and blogging would deplete the store. It was as if blogging and fiction writing must be mutually exclusive.

As a writer, blogging gives me an outlet to exercise a particular type of expression (I simply don't have the energy to enter the freelance game, but love to write about topics that fascinate me...oddly, that which fascinates is not worth money). As a fiction writer, it allows me to maintain a character (the character of my blog is not me, though we share many characteristics). Blogging allows me to write without worries, to warm up, in a manner of speaking.

So, no answer to your question, but one perspective."

I'm having trouble standing up to society and demanding enough care for my son so I can get the job I want. If I had half your guts and energy I think I'd have one. Please, don't stop! Go out and convert more of us avoiders.
Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Amanda Mann said...

Sorry you're having a tough time, Genevieve. Standing up to authorities is exhausting work, even moreso when it involves those you love the most. Take care and don't be too hard on yourself.

Genevieve said...

Thanks Amanda, I sure will - I do find your openness and determination in pursuing your career in professional writing very refreshing and inspiring, though! and I hope you and yours have a very happy Christmas and New Year.