Friday, March 03, 2006

Conf 154: Final Proof Reading

No. of words: 63,832

"Q: What's the most surprising thing that ever happened to you?

A: When I sold my first novel, The Ice House. We'd been trying to sell it for two years, so when I got a call from my agent I was so surprised. It was only 9.30am, but I bought a bottle of champagne and drank it there and then."

Five Minute Interview with Minette Walters
The Independent 2.3.06

I love hearing stories like that. Who was the agent who didn't give up?

I have printed today what I think is the last draft of the first 3 chapters. Running it through Wordcount (see sidebar for link), I discovered 10, TEN 'just' s still in there. Also, 15 'life's and 10 'door's.

I will read C1 to the writing group on Monday, then after final adjustments start the selling process in earnest. I'm a bit scared, but, really, I think I've done all I can do. I've got 2 words written at the top of the printed version "light and wind" & will see if I can put one or the other in somewhere over the weekend without messing it up.

As a treat to self, I went off to the shops this afternoon, proper High Street clothes shops. We're out for dinner tomorrow night and for lunch on Sunday so I spent the food budget on clothes. Shoes, blue pumps, white jeans, and a white linen skirt. Oh, and a yellow Brazilian football T-shirt which daughter said was GROSS and SUICIDAL as soon as she saw it.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: