Thursday, March 09, 2006

Conf 156: Killing the Darlings

No. of words: 61,790
No. of e-mails from agents x 4: 0

Now watch the wordcount decrease to zero. But still, this does feel like more of a readable final draft than any that have gone before. Am printing off and reading through each chapter about 400 times, printing off, reading, correcting again. Each chapter must be as tight and succinct as a short story now, no extra words allowed. Whether it'll all hang together is another thing.

One of the fun things I like to do at this later stage is put my characters into Google and see if they have any twins wandering around the planet for real. Today I put in my main character's dead husband, and up came an obituary for a guy with this same name. From this person I got 'deadpan expression' and dry humour, which fits my man and can be slotted in somewhere.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: