Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Conf 169: Sent

No. of reminders sent to BBC: 1 (= x 4)
No. of replies from BBC: 0
No. of submissions to agents: 1

Editing is very hard work. The fine edit more than most because after the final screen edit I really did think it'd be a straight read-through, more or less, and I could think about adding bits of light and breeze here and there. Not a bit of it. Started at 8.30 this morning, have just finished. 5pm and it's gone, first 100 pages that is. So there.

Now can get miserable and worried again. This little haitus period between having agents showing interest in the idea and them actually reading it has been a welcome break into the world of possibilities. Must now prepare thick skin for new round of rejections, and I'm not going to like it. I know I'm not. Also, now the BBC safety net has gone, i.e. if all else fails can return to old job, feel more vulnerable than ever. I simply don't know what I'm going to do if this fails. As it's pretty dumb to expect to make a living out of writing, this is my own fault. But to know, to realise, I'm now not good as an employee to anyone isn't very cheering. Will carry on the freelance work at home and keep thinking I suppose. I have an idea for a website I may try to get off the ground, but it could be more pies in the sky, biting off more than can chew and any other cliché you care to throw at it.

The second agent who contacted me, the really nice-sounding one wanting to know about my present commitments to agent and publisher, hasn't replied to my e-mail of 4 or 5 days ago, so I must have said something wrong here.

Dear J,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

This is in effect my fourth novel. Agent 1 and I parted amicably after she passed on the idea and opening chapters for my third novel. She suggested I try other agents with it which I did. I had some interest and disappeared to finish it. (maybe I shouldn't have mentioned other agents?) However, about half way through I had the idea for Novel 4, which I felt was more of the breakthrough idea I needed to get into what I know is a very competitive and difficult market to break into. My deal with Y was a 2 book deal and there are no contractual obligations to show them any new work.

I have been quietly getting on with Novel 4 and am now about half way into the 2nd final draft of 65,000 words. With the final 2 chapters to write and the inserts as I go, I am aiming for 80,000.

All best wishes,


Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: