Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Conf 181: Bad Memory Not Alway A Bad Thing

All this plot business is new to me. Is that a terrible admission? Is all this crafting really necessary? It feels like it is & I wonder how on earth I was ever published in the first place without any of this.

Reading through the whole of the novel for my plot table started off OK. Then got extremely depressing and painful in the middle before perking up a bit towards the end. Best bit was reading an encounter with a twist in it I'd forgotten writing, and then the twist being revealed to me like I was a reader. Worst bit: too many worst bits, but have survived. I now have an 8-page chapter summary marked with conflict points, and Holly's 'candy' points. And a 2-page summary of the summary, to see how I measure up on Polti's dramatic situations count.

Allowed myself a bit of 'plot' googling just now. Warts & all diary of successful author Jessica Hart, this year's RNA winner, refreshing read. Dan Brown likes to solve his plot challenges by hanging upside down wearing gravity boots.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: