Thursday, May 18, 2006

Conf 190: Into the Swing

Final draft:
Target for week: 29,043
Words: 29,317
Word credit: 274

Hurrah! It's 14.03 on a Thursday. I can take the rest of the day off, and tomorrow if I want to really push the boat out. It's been a long time since I really enjoyed doing this, and a long time since I've written any new scenes. The good thing about rewriting is, of course, that there are chunks that you can drop in. So it's like you instantly wrote 2,000 words, that's why the progress has been so good this week. But, still, a feeling of a sense of achievement every now and then is no bad thing.

It could be the key actually. When I started writing novels I'd have to break off at 3 to look after a small child. There was no way I could do any more that day. So the next day I'd go back to it at a point where I'd had to reluctantly leave it. (As Graham Greene famously worked, always leaving off in the middle of a sentence.) Instead, I've been rewriting myself out all day and early evening, wearing myself down, until giving up and doing something else.

I won't be taking time off writing, though, as I have to do a page of new ideas and written stories to send to agent. But right now am going to prepare plate of munchies (guacamole, tzatziki and hummus, pitta bread and vine tomatoes) so that I can gozz out in a moment with transmission of workshop friend Linda's TV play One Night In White Satin. (Now you know where the Willy Russell advice came from).

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: