Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Conf 296: BLOW ME DOWN

I left the PLR envelope in the mailbox all morning, preferring not to know, and just got on with the script work.

It arrived with another letter, a form-like rejection slip from submission 3 (of 4, leaving one reply outstanding). The first pre-printed no feedback, no acknowledgement rejection I've had for a long, long time. Fortunately it barely registered and went straight in the bin as I continued to stare, unbelievingly, at my statement.

Novel 1 4086 loans £244.34
Novel 2 6214 loans £371.60
Non Fiction 1 755 loans £45.15
Non Fiction 2 957 loans £57.23

Good news I can barely believe. The paperback novels were published in 2003 and 2004 , I was convinced they'd have been withdrawn from the library shelves by now. Hopefully the 007 turnaround begins. Yesterday I went to the shops and bought things. A hyacinth, some fish food, a book (Lisa Jewell's One Hit Wonder) and, from same charity shop, a pair of Enorme, lined powder blue velvet curtains.

I looked at the opening chapters of the novel yesterday evening, considering whether to read something or not at the workshop. So much to improve and decided against. Looking forward to getting at it. If I don't hand over the dosh to partner for rent, as I did last year, the PLR will buy me enough time to finish, I should give myself a deadline. Kate Harrison and Lucy Diamond have set up a wordcount race which anybody can join. Good motivation for first drafts but it'd only give me the jitters. I might download the little thermometer-like countdown thingy, though, and might get hooked on watching it fill itself up.

Minimal problems compared to some, this e-mail in just now from old friends in Venezuela.

......As for us here, I am afraid Chavez is with us for a long time now. It is
really awful, since the consequences of his reelection will be seen in the
future. Several things concurred for his winning, but basically giving away
money in gross amounts, and tampering (right word?) with the electoral
register. I know I have told you so many times things will only get worse,
and here we are, but I still firmly believe that Chavez is destroying our
country. As a result from the elections, he is well anchored, so we are
expecting acceleration of his authoritarism. A few days ago he just
announced the closure of an opposing TV station. Uncertain future I am

Their son has left to live in the US and their daughter will follow.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

1 comment:

Anne Brooke said...

Amanda - I'm feeling angry on your behalf about the publisher letter, and thrilled about the PLR stuff - I'm up and down like a yoyo, but I mean well. Huge hugs on both counts.