Monday, July 09, 2007

CONF 469: HOW TO BE A GHOST

.................................................................................



A rare day off from the work work today. Got a fair bit of writing done. Not my own novel. The deadline for the ghost novel try-out chapters is approaching and I'm trying to knock it on the head.

I was given a chapter by chapter detailed synopsis of what happens, character outlines and broad descriptions of the setting. One moment it seems really easy, like join the dots writing. Then I realise it's not at all.

It's a funny game & I'm glad to have the opportunity to try it out. A lot more of it around these days, what with so many celebrities keen to produce novels without the fuss of actually having to write.

I'm a bit confused as to how much effort I should be putting in to this. Even if my version is liked and accepted there would be so many contractual hoops to go through, I'm still not signed with any agent. Either they or I could pull out at any stage if we're not happy. So I have kind of determined not to put too much emotional passion into it. Yet if you don't what are you left with?

Much excitement today as the new Bookarazzi website launches. Conceived and designed by the mega-talented Boob Pencil and Lucy Pepper out of our Bloggers With Book Deals forum. I'm a hanger on at the edges really, being as this blog is about my unsuccessful flounderings trying to find myself a book deal. But there are some great books and writers born of this blogosphere, and many of them now ready to share their tips and know hows.

I have decided I can't wait any longer for the agent to get back to me. It's been a month and I really have come to accept that if the publishers were interested I would have heard by now. To recap, this is actually a submission of my novel in with one of the big publishers. Submitted by an agent I very much admire and desire. It could be everything, but then again it's probably nothing. Richmond writers' pub night tonight. The last thing I want to do is depress myself just before I go, nights out being as rare as they are at the moment.

I'll start making enquiries tomorrow, then it's, deep breath, sigh, and onwards and onwards. At least there's another agent lined up ready and waiting to read.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

No comments: