Monday, August 18, 2008

CONF 564: THERE

.

London permanently grey and overcast, partner sunk back into private hell and yet another death. At least I don't live in China or the Congo. Not said flippantly. Have been to both and current read, Tim Butcher's Blood River, is bringing the scary Congo times vividly back to life. China being everywhere at the moment needs no such reminders. We're just back from holiday - there, see - at least we could have a holiday. Really good one too. Not there. France. That was all looking fairly uncertain for a long time, but we got there. And back. Middle of France with friends was exactly what was needed. No internet, tv, radio, just books, pool and one or two sneaky newspapers. Now it's back to the continuing gloom. I am really beginning to wonder if there's a jinx. I mean, I know there's a recession and all but everywhere I turn, whether it's orthodontists or bank sharks or BT or just other motorists, everyone seems to be really grumpy or trying to pull a fast one. Death was the only relative I was ever close to. Funeral tomorrow. The gloom of the deal falling through is making me more glum now than when it all happened.

Bye bye, thanks for visiting, come again soon.

5 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

So sorry to hear this, Amanda - sending love and hugs to you. Thinking of you loads. Not a lot else I can say really.

A
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Debs said...

I'm not surprised you feel so gloomy, sorry to hear of your loss.

nodamnblog said...

Glad you had a good holiday at least, Amanda. Life's a bitch, isn't it? But I believe it makes us better writers because it makes us FEEL more.

Bon courage, and once more into the breach ..........

Kate Hardy said...

Sending you a hug and condolences on your loss. Sometimes fate really does feel as if it's kicking you when you're down (have had a school summer hols like that myself). But things WILL get better, so hang on in there.

(I came across your blog through Kate Harrison, btw. Have lurked for a while, but this post struck such a chord I wanted to send you a hug.)

Amanda Mann said...

Thank you! The funeral was beautiful, designed by her as so many are these days: Elvis, homeopathy & tango.