Friday, May 31, 2013


The US Huffington Post have just published one of my short stories. 

I've been wearing so many hats these past few years, the mini biography I had to provide concentrated the mind somewhat. When I'm asked what I do I often hesitate. "Writer" can invite all unpredictable come-backs. "Yes but what do you do for a living". For a long time saying I was a publisher felt way too pretentious, like I was pretending to be one of the big boys. But actually, no, not any more. The business continues to grow, so at last I finally realise it's fine, and pretty cool really, to be everything.

I am a writer, I am an editor and I am a publisher. A hybrid author. Not much done lately on the writing side it has to be said. But that looks like it could be set to change as I have a meeting with an agent next week.

Meantime have been busy on the publishing front. I am so proud of the 3 new titles we've produced this month and am really excited about the 3 authors set to publish with us through to the autumn. Just out are:

A 53,000 word sampler of extracts from Susie Kelly's wonderful comedy travel books. Includes an extract from her amazing new memoir I Wish I Could Say I Was Sorry...    FREE IN ALL EBOOK FORMATS FROM SMASHWORDS AND KOBO, 99c/77p on Kindle.

"Can a child be born strange? Or does it come from some early forgotten experience?" Susie vividly portrays a small child's experience of emigrating from 1950s London, in every shade of grey, to the technicolour splendour of Kenya and growing up as part of a dysfunctional family.  This had me in tears twice. And the proofreader, too, in his own description - "a roughty toughty bloke who hadn't cried at a book since Dickens". It's also funny. Because she's naturally funny - esp amidst adversity and all that.... $3.99/£2.68 Kindle/$14.99/£9.82 paperback.

Exeter university student Elle was our intern last summer (amongst other things she drew the cover for Susie's Swallows & Robins). A massive talent, her book pitch was totally irresistible and here it is. Already drawing praise from popular Twitter pages like SkintLondon (fab things London a tenner and under + News & More) and Twitter budget consumer queen Pennygolightly, it's a unique budget style guide. How to fund the fabulous, via the chicest of charity shops and the coolest of bars and clubs, on the tightest of student incomes and less.  The strapline is "Essential reading for anybody travelling to London who would love to live like the cast of Made In Chelsea without being 'in' diamonds".  Kindle $2.99/£2.02 Paperback $9.79/£6.11.

And recently-published For The Love Of Cats spreads its paws as an interview with Christina Hamilton is set to feature in South African glossy cat mag CatsLife's 50th Birthday Special. This fun illustrated book answers the following questions and a lot, lot more:

* Who named all his cats Sam?
* What is the truth, exactly, about Isaac Newton’s invention of the cat flap and did he really have a cat called Spitface?
* Which famous medieval French Cardinal revealed his black sense of humour when he named his cats Ludovic Le Cruel and Lucifer?
* Who had a cat called Joss Stick?
* Why does a famous National Trust property always have a marmalade cat called Jock permanently in residence?
* Which American rapper called his cats Miles Davis and Frank Sinatra?
* Who named their cats 1,2,3,4,5,7 and 8, and why did he miss out 6?
* Which famous author called cats love sponges?
* Can you guess why Pope Benedict XVI Emiratus used to leave the Vatican late at night and all alone?

Kindle $2.99/£1.77 Paperback $11.99/£7.89

It's still raining pretty constantly in London. Everything is so green. This is our garden square at the moment. Almost tropical. Which brings me back to my short story, The Long Pig, in the Huffington Post's Featured Fifty Fiction slot, set on a remote Pacific island in Micronesia.

No comments: