Saturday, May 03, 2014

The Best Book On Writing I've Read Since 'On Writing'


  • Forget pantsers vs plotters
  • Forget the hero's journey (as a film-goer oh yes please) 
  • FORGET THE 3 ACTS

What a fantastically generous, practical and wise book this is. And how needed as well. For movie-goers sick of the refusals, magic flights and thresholds and the rest and for writers of all genres, novelists and screenwriters alike. I found it thanks to a Tweet by the great (IT Crowd, Father Ted) Graham Linehan, whose Amazon review here speaks for itself (& love the 'comment'!).

It came at just the right time for me, post-pantser-first-draft novel and with 2nd draft plot/character cards plastered up everywhere.




About to tear all this down and start again.

The ending of this book (being the all-important conceit) blew me away. THANK YOU HULK.

THINGS I WISH I'D KNOWN BEFORE STARTING: If the caps get too much there's a WHOLE VERSION IN LOWER-CASE IN THE 2ND HALF OF THE BOOK!

Amazon Kindle USA

Amazon Kindle UK

2 comments:

CL Taylor said...

Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out. I don't think I'll ever get bored of 'how to' books on writing. And WOAH that's a lot of index cards! Having pantsed my current book and now have to rewrite the entire thing as a result I'm back to plotting for the next one!

Stephanie Zia said...

Thanks, Cally. Sorry about the rewrite but bet it'll be another winner. I am in chart heaven. In fact was so impressed with the chart you put on FB a few months ago - I screenshotted it on my Tablet, which is on the desk somewhere in front of all the cards.