Friday, July 25, 2014

Hidden London: - Marina Abramović

London is roasting and schools are out. The traffic has eased and everybody appears to be slowing down. The most exciting event for me so far this summer has been the exhibition by Marina Abramović at the Serpentine GalleryThe gallery is a pleasant half hour walk through the parks. 




"In a unique work created for the Serpentine, the internationally acclaimed artist Marina Abramović will perform in the Gallery for the duration of her exhibition:  10am to 6pm, 6 days a week. Creating the simplest of environments in the Gallery spaces, Abramović’s only materials will be herself, the audience and a selection of props that she may or may not use. On arrival, visitors will both literally and metaphorically leave their baggage behind in order to enter the exhibition: bags, jackets, electronic equipment, watches and cameras may not accompany them. 
The public will become the performing body, participating in the delivery of an unprecedented moment in the history of performance art." Serpentine Gallery
I had to queue for around 40 minutes. Once inside I was ready to turn and run, fast and hard, but curiosity kept me there a little longer. Falling in with the general pace of things, I walked slowly through the rooms, returning to hug the wall in the main room, settled now, and happy to observe.

Then I had 'my' encounter, she came across the room, full eye contact, smiling widely, gently put her arm around me and took me for a walk. She went and found me a chair and I sat there for I don't know how long.

This was weeks ago now. I want to go back and see what's happening now. I might go this weekend.  I find it quite amazing that it's all still going on. Her energy must be incredible. She's startlingly beautiful. Ageless. At midnight she records a diary of the day.... you can see it here. Also online are the visitors' comments. I've just been scrolling down - looking to see if mine is there of course. We are all about ourselves. That wasn't it... I found it! But what a great read her visitors' book is:
"Silent Party at Marina's House."
"Amazing what you can make a group of people do just by setting an example. Huh? Bit Weird"
"I really don't know. I have very loud clicky ankles."
"Of course in the 70's we did it naked."
And here's me!

No. I haven't a clue.

So there you are, if you fancy it, you can go and take part in this extraordinary thing. Open until 25th August. Free.

Walking home, feeling a little floaty, I came across that empty flower meadow - in the centre of London...

Actually, I can't wait to return now.

No comments: